Re: I need some NFS Tips!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Racing Simulation Forum ] [ texas auto insurance ]

Posted by dohcan on April 11, 19100 at 08:43:40:

In Reply to: I need some NFS Tips! posted by Brad Temple on April 07, 19100 at 20:03:14:

A gamepad is a very nice, inexpensive way to enhance your skills.

At first I was trying a Gravis Gamepad (the cheapie) and it only has 4 buttons on the front, so you're basically stuck with an automatic, but it's a good way to learn how to drive the cars.

I just bought an InterAct Propad 8 Digital USB and this controller is nice. It has 6 buttons along the front, so you can assign your standard brake/accel/handbrake/reset/lights/camera all to the gamepad (no keyboard fumbling :)). It also has two flippers on top that are perfect for shifters, so you can use a manual transmission, to get that extra edge off of the line. :)

This controller is not too expensive, I paid $19.99 for it. www.interact-acc.com is their website, they have some other good controllers.

I also have a racing wheel, but I've found that it's not the best way to get the fastest times. You really need the sharp turning capabilities of the gamepad to excel in the NFS series. Don't get me wrong, it's fun to use. I think a wheel is more suited for a Nascar-type game, where you aren't making hairpin turns or avoiding cops/traffic.

As for general game tips, when coming to a hard turn, most cars can take it pretty fast, just slow slightly before getting there, then punch it through the turn. In Porsche Unleashed (2000?), however, the cars handle more like real cars, so watch for that rear-end, so it doesn't slide out on you.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Racing Simulation Forum ] [ texas auto insurance ]