Re: I meant can't beat Frank and some other guy

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Racing Simulation Forum ] [ texas auto insurance ]

Posted by Jens Videbak on April 23, 19100 at 20:53:08:

In Reply to: Re: I meant can't beat Frank and some other guy posted by dohcan on April 07, 19100 at 14:13:13:

: This isn't really about this particular race, but since we're talking about the AI and physics of the game, have you noticed that in identical cars, the computer, if ahead, can sometimes leave you in the dust, especially on straightaways. I don't understand what is happening there. One thing I have noticed, though, is the keyboard tends to be smoother in the turns than a gamepad. And if you notice when you turn the wheels...a gamepad immediately goes to the extremes, but the keyboard smoothly gets there. Check it out when you're sitting on the line or doing a test race.

: I wonder if this plays a role in the game. In a real car, I would assume (but since I don't have a Porsche or a private track to test speeds of greater than 145 mph, nor do I have a car that has a steering device that immediately goes to the extremes of the turning radius) that turning by making a series of short "jabs" as opposed to make a gradual turn (like with a steering wheel) would impede your performance greatly. I have a steering wheel for my PC, and it does provide for a greater "sense" of reality, but unfortunately, the pedals are on a single axis, so if you press the accelerator, you can't press the brake at the same time, and vice-versa, so it is somewhat clunky.

: I tell you one thing, I get a lot better times using the keyboard than I do using the gamepad (though most of the time, the gamepad will suffice). If anyone can verify this and/or knows of a way to make a gamepad handle like the keyboard, please drop me a line at dohcan@hotmail.com

: Thanks

I use an automatic transmission and I beat them,
I tried a different method of taking turns a bit
wider instead of cutting corners and the speed
doesn't drop off as much, however I think a large
part of my win can be attributed to the fact that
Frank and Billy bumped each other and wiped out
completely! They raced a bit ahead at the start
and were side by side but neither could pull ahead
then one tried to bump the other off the road and
ended up wiping both of them out. The AI in this game amazes me, as the opponents try different
strategies, and are even able to predict your
moves sometimes.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Racing Simulation Forum ] [ texas auto insurance ]